Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shells & Vegetable Soup

This is another recipe from my sister, Caitlin. But, I decided that I needed a soup for this week's menu and I wanted something a little bit lighter - so here it is!

Shells and Vegetable Soup
1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 clove garlic, chopped
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
1 can (14 oz.) crushed or diced tomatoes

2 Tbsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped frozen spinach
1/4 cup small shell pasta
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery

1/4 cup cubed zucchini
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp. fresh grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, basil and oregano to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat , and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add spinach, carrots, celery and pasta. Cook 10 minutes covered at a low boil. Add zucchini and cook 7 more minutes. Test for doneness by forking vegetables and pasta to see if tender.

Spoon into bowl; add salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste.

Caitlin said to double the vegetables and that she thought the shells could be optional. I'll try it the way the recipe is first and, then, go from there.

***We tried this recipe and thought it was really good. I did add 1 can of Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed), and used crushed tomatoes. And, if I had it to do over again, I would cook the pasta separately and have a little extra chicken broth on hand in case I wanted it more "brothy".***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails