Thursday, May 8, 2008

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

This recipe originally comes out of the Taste of Home Annual Recipes cookbook (from 2000?). But, I have tweaked it to MY liking over the years. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Macaroni & Cheese
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 C chopped scallions
2 T flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 C milk
1/2 C sour cream (optional)
1 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 C elbow macaroni, cooked
1/4 C unseasoned bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour salt, dry mustard, pepper and cayenne. Melt butter in a medium skillet. Add scallions and saute for 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Add flour mixture and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 C cheese, and sour cream if using. Add macaroni. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 C cheese and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are lightly browned. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

Okay, that's it. Now here's how I alter it. I always add the sour cream, but I don't really measure it. I don't cook the noodles ahead of time, but I add 2 Tbsp water to the sauce to compensate. You have to bake it for the full 25 minutes, in order to cook the noodles. I, also, don't measure the breadcrumbs because I love the crispy topping. This is not an ooey-gooey mac n' cheese, but it is so good! I double the recipe when serving as a main course at dinner.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails