Saturday, August 9, 2008

This Week's New Recipe Reciews

Nachos
original recipe here
We like this recipe, but probably won't make it again. My husband's "sensitive to mexican food" stomach did not agree with it after we were done eating. I also found that it made a lot of "topping", more than I would normally put on my nachos. So, If you don't have the "problems" that we do, I would say go for it. But, keep in mind that this recipe could easily be stretched to 4 people vs. the two it states.

Bruschetta Chicken Bake
original recipe here
I had high hopes for this recipe, really I did. The contributor states how easy and wonderful it is. I found that the "bruschetta topping" overwhelmed the bland chicken. The ratio of chicken to bread was a little off for our taste. And my husband, who normally eats everything, didn't eat it. He opted for grapes for dinner, instead.

Homemade Tomato Soup
This was my own creation! I had looked around at recipes online and gathered general similarities between them all. Then, I just went for it. I sauteed: 1/4 C chopped onion, 1 chopped celery rib, and 1/2 peeled and chopped carrot in 1 T butter. I added salt, pepper and garlic. I let those work for a little while in the pot. Then, I added just enough chicken broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan. I added one large can of whole peeled tomatoes, and pureed everything with a stick blender. Heat all the way through, then, I addedabout 1/2 C evaporated milk for creaminess.

It was yummy, but you could definitely taste the carrots and I will probably leave them out next time.

Huevos Rancheros
original recipe here
We really liked this recipe. It is definitely more of a brunch dish. But, we loved the salsa fresca! When we repeat this recipe, I think that I will fry the eggs separate from the tortillas. That technique made it a little difficult to cook and flip. I think that warming the tortillas and frying the eggs separately would make it a lot easier.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Aw, I'm bummed the bruschetta chicken was no good- I was hoping you'd give it a good review & then I could try it! Can I just say I LOVE reading your food blog?! I'm glad you're posting more!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails