Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bountiful Baskets: This Week's Basket

No pictures this week, I was helping longer than normal at the site today. Then, my husband was headed out to run errands, so I quickly divided our basket so that he could take my parents their share.
This is what we received this week:
5 lbs of Russet potatoes
5 large turnips (so excited!)
2 acorn squash
2 bunches of celery
2 eggplant (1 was my volunteer extra)
1 bunch of spinach
7 bananas
6 persimmons
5 Granny Smith apples
4 pears

So, here is what I'm thinking . . . I was surprised at how many people have not had parsnips. Although, ten years ago, I hadn't either. My favorite way to prepare them is to roasted them together with carrots, or you could try sweet potatoes as well. Here is a good recipe to try if you would like specific instructions. Or, try one of these ideas:
Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash, Parsnips and Turnips
Smashed Parsnips with Mascapone Cheese
Annabel Karmel's Quick Chicken Couscous from the "First Meals Cookbook"
Parsnip Muffins or Good Morning Muffins

And, here is my favorite recipe for Grilled Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad. It is to die for! And, I don't usually like eggplant.

Stay tuned for recipes for Stuffed Acorn Squash and a delicious Pear Salad.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails