Saturday, June 7, 2008

This Week's New Recipe Reviews

Peanut-Crusted Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
original recipe here
I cut the recipe in. When don't I, really? I also use small (young) chicken breasts instead of the chicken cutlets that the recipe calls for. I found that the breasts took longer, than the 2 minutes the recipe indicates, to cook. Suprise, suprise! So, if you are going to use breasts, I recommend browning on each side for 1 minute in the pan. Then, transferring to a baking dish and baking at 350 degrees until cooked, probably around 15-20 minutes.

We really liked the flavor of this. And, although, he questioned my judgement at first, my husband really liked the pineapple salsa. I have to say, I questioned the meal at first when I looked at it on my plate, but it was delicious!

Spring Sheepherd's Pie
original recipe here
Overall, I am not good at the "salt & pepper to taste" thing. So, I thought the recipe needed more salt and pepper. I cut the recipe in half for my family. If I make this again, I will leave the chicken/vegetable/gravy mixture at its original measurements and cut only the potatoes in half. Did that make sense? Anyway, the potatoes were way too thick! (Which is a problem I often come up with in Rachael Ray's recipes.)

Other than needing more salt, it was really good. And, it was a nice alternative to you're standard shepherd's pie. Although, my husband says that my mom's recipe is still his favorite. "Why mess with a good thing?" he says.

Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
original recipe here
This recipe was not specific as to the number of muffins it made. When I had filled my muffin cups 2/3 full, I still had a lot of batter! So, I mounded them up to fit in the 12 cups, which made the cups about FULL. When I checked them at the recommended cooking time of 17 minutes, they were not done, so I added 4 minutes of baking time total (in 2 minutes increments).

They were so yummy! My two-year-old ate almost 1 whole muffin as an afternoon snack. I will definitely make them again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails