Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lentil Soup

A while back, we met my husband for lunch at a foodcourt near his office. I had Lentil Soup. It was statisfying and delicious. I ran out and bought lentils to recreate the soup at home, but they have sat in my cupboard for a few months. Today, it was pouring rain. They kids and I were running to the car and getting soaked. As I sat in the car, wet while driving home, I decided that soup was what we needed for lunch.
{Lentil and Vegetable Soup}
adapted from this recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 large carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 can tomato sauce
3/4 cup orange lentils
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons pomengranite juice
1 bay leaf
3-1/2 cups chicken stock
parmesan cheese, for garnish

In a large stockpot, saute the onions in oil until they are glossy. Stir in garlic, paprika, celery, carrots, and saute for 10 minutes. Once the vegetables have sauteed for 10 minutes stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, lentils, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then add the wine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 35-40 minutes; or until the lentils are tender.
Sprinkle the soup with parmesan before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails