Friday, August 20, 2010

Flying Farmer Chicken Salad

My cousin called recently in a panic. She was hosting a bridal shower and had planned on chicken salad croissants with Sonoma Chicken Salad from Costco. Only, Costco didn't have it beause it was being discontinued. We poked around on the interent for some good alternatives and, then, I remembered this recipe.
I got this recipe from my grandmother, the summer that I visited her in Hong Kong after graduating from high school. It was contributed by a friend to their Ward Cookbook. I ate it in Hong Kong and fell in love. Years later I still come back to it for a special occasion. It is so delicious! I love the citrusy flavor in the dressing. And, the rice helps you add bulk for a crowd without blowing your budget. The recipe makes A LOT, so be prepared to feed the neighborhood or cut it down.

{Flying Farmer Chicken Salad}
Cook, cool and diced chicken breasts. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Combine 5 C. diced chickien with:
2-3 T orange juice
1 t salt
3 T salad oil (vegetable)
2 T vinegar
Let stand overnight in the fridge. The next day add:
3 C cooked rice
1 1/2 C seedless grapes
1 1/2 C thinly sliced celery
1 can pineapple tidbits (12oz), drained
1 can mandarin oranges (11oz), drained
1 C slivered almonds, toasted
1 1/2 C mayo (start with less and see if you really need that much)
Toss together. Serve on a lettuce leaf. Garnish with a slice of orange and a fresh strawberry. Serve with a croissant (optional).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails